Monday, May 19, 2008

Tragedy in the Playhouse

On Saturday morning I woke up to the sound of birds going crazy in the backyard. I looked out my window and the nest in the playhouse was gone! I looked closer and saw two cracked eggs on the landing just above the slide. I went outside to get a closer look and found the nest on the ground under the playhouse. I was devastated-these poor birds had already had to deal with Ian the egg snatcher now they were childless and homeless! I put the nest back in the playhouse where it had been. It didn't seem like the wind would knock it down and upon noticing the feathers on the ground I have come to the conclusion that it was a cat. I guess building your nest in a playhouse with a ladder is not the best idea. The birds have not returned and every morning I check to see if maybe they have come back. It seemed like we had our miracle after Ian got to the nest, but I think the birds are gone for good now. On the plus side Ian can now play in his playhouse without two birds squawking at him and looking like they are going to dive bomb him at any minute.

5 comments:

tamster17 said...

Ohhhhhh how sad! After all you guys have been through with the nest for it to end this way is not fair at all!

Hillary said...

You guys sure haven't had good luck with the nest and birds this spring. How sad for your boys!

Katie L. said...

How sad! Maybe the birds will think twice before building a nest in there again!

Jessica said...

How sad. My mother in law has a nest with 4 eggs, and luckily it's out of reach of the kids and other animals.

Brandi said...

Oh, I totally know what you're going through! We found a baby bird on the ground, and the mom was dive bombing our kids. The baby fell out of the tree but the mom wouldn't let us get near to help. Finally, I was able to get the bird and put it in an old grill that had a huge hole in it so the mom could get in. It seems to be working, but we're still getting dive bombed by the mom. My kids think it's funny, but I hate it!! Anyway, I hope that no more birds decide to build nests in our trees!!