Friday, January 21, 2011

January 17-20: A Vacation from Vacation (in vintage color)

Barn Vintage copy

Being off track for 4+ weeks is enough to drive one mom with three kids crazy.   So, we decided to take the craziness to my parents.  The valley was in major melt down (all the snow from Christmas had melted filling the fields, yards, and my sisters basement with water) but we were so glad the usual cold temps and yucky inversion had left for a few days.

Miles Bowling Seventies

We started our vacation off with a trip to the bowling alley.  Cousins came and all the kids scored above 80 thanks to the bumpers and ramps.  Miles got a spare and did this goofy little dance that had the people on either side of us cracking up.

Kitchen Aid Seventies

I’ve always loved my mom’s enormous kitchen and her gas oven so while she was at school working the boys and I decided to whip up some cookies for her to eat when she came home. 

Cookies Velvet Truffle

Wes w.spoon Velvet Truffle

Wesley was my little helper while Ian and Miles raided my mom’s supply of old toys.   They love the Star Wars, Micro Machines, Hot Wheels, Construx, and the big bucket of Legos.

Wes w.Shopping Cart Seventies

After filling his tummy with cookies Wes found this grocery cart and spent the afternoon pushing it around the kitchen.

Wes w.Toy 1 Seventies

After the grocery cart Wes found this old crib toy and giggled over all the funny sounds it would make.  I love that he actually has to turn, twist, press, or spin something to get the noise—not just a battery powered push the button and get some electronic response kind of toy.  They just don’t make ‘em like they use to.

We also played with cousins, watched the new ginormous TV, enjoyed mom’s cooking, watched Sydney at her tae kwon do class, toured the new additions to the high school (some things might change, but apparently the smell of my high school doesn’t) and went out for Indian food (which by the way is my new favorite).  

Does going home every once in awhile and having your mom take care of you ever get old?  Thanks mom for the customized menu, the free babysitting, and for bathing my unruly children.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Your pictures make Cache Valley look so cool. Maybe I really do want to live there. :)
It was fun to have you here. I love that you loved the Indian food, and that you loved Syd TKD class, and that you think SV smells the same as when we went there. It really does. Come home again soon. We love you!

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

wow I remember crib toys like that in the 70's.

Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Buckeroomama said...

Looks like you guys had a great time.

Going back to mom's is always a treat. I get to be someone's child... instead of being mom all the time. :)

Sheree said...

We had the same crib toy. I think it was passed to my cousins and disappeared.
You are taking beautiful pictures.