Monday, August 15, 2011

July 30—Two Flats, 60+ Miles & a Few Biker Dudes

Okay so I guess this is a good time to write about my new obsession.  Back in April my good friend Nora and I put in for a relay ticket for LOTOJA.  I was nervous about getting in, but hoping like crazy we would get a ticket.  The first part of May we found out it was a no go.  I was bummed but started thinking about other biking opportunities.  I hadn’t really wanted to train for a century just because 100 miles seems so far, but if I didn’t have LOTOJA it was my next option so I decided I would ride the Cache Valley Century with my dad the end of August. 

I started riding a few times a week and trying to go a bit farther each time a rode.  I decided to try for some longer rides on the weekends and slowly built up my pace and endurance.  I kept telling my dad I was going to ride the whole 100 miles with him, but I think he thought I was a bit out of my league.

In July I went up to visit him and we planned to go on a ride.  We left the house and he was keeping a pretty easy pace as we headed out to Trenton (really big) hill.  At the bottom of the hill the chain on my bike froze up and my dad told me to switch bikes and he would catch up with me on the hill.  He didn’t catch me until the very top of the hill and after that there was no more easy pace.  Since we have been on two more 50+ mile rides and he is now my biggest cheerleader. 

I am borderline obsessed with my new found workout/hobby/escape.  Every day is centered around “my ride.”  I love my time on the bike, time to think, time to not think.  I love hills both the up and down. I love going fast—48 mph being my fastest.  One time I even registered on one of those cop patrol speed limit things. I could go on and on…The century is in a two weeks and I think I am ready, I know I am excited.  And as luck would have it my Uncle Mike got a LOTOJA ticket and I will be riding two legs of the race with him and my dad!

Biker Dudes

So, all that rambling about cycling brings me to his photo.  Let me introduce you to my Bishopric, without the Bishop.  (Bishop Butler if you read this I’m thinking you should get a bike and you could hold all your bishopric meetings while climbing the hill out to Copperton)  Brother Buxton on the left is our executive secretary, Brother Laufiso in the center is 2nd counselor, and Brother Richmond on the end is 1st counselor.  They all ride, and being the nice guys they are they let me tag along on the 30th for a fun ride out to Eagle Mountain.  I was nervous because I had no idea if I would be able to keep up with these guys, but even though they sailed past me down the hills I was able to hold my own most of the time.  It was the largest group I have rode with and we got some great speed pulling on the flat.  I managed to flatten two tires and thanks to Brother Buxton I was back on the road in no time.  It was the perfect day for a ride and such a great time.  Thanks guys for letting me crash the party. 

No comments: