Monday, December 17, 2007

The fate of the yellow blankie--


When we had Ian we did not know we were having a boy. (We didn't think we were having a girl either.) It was just up in the air due to a very old and fuzzy ultrasound machine. One of the advantages to this was we received many "neutral" colored gifts of clothing and blankets. One of the blankets we received from Dave's cousin Natalie was a pale yellow fleece blanket. When Ian was about 3 months old we discovered he was attached/in love with this blanket. They have been inseparable ever since. (Picture Linus and his blankie and you'll get the general idea.) Ian still at 4 likes to have "yellow" close by. Well, last week he and yellow were in the kitchen and Ian thought it would be a good idea to grab a candle that was warming at the back of the counter and pull it forward spilling warm (thankfully not hot) wax all over the floor, cupboards, yellow, and hands (once again thankful it wasn't hot). Ian was not hurt, but yellow is now covered in green pine smelling wax! We are going to try to iron it out, and save him-any other ideas on how we might salvage him would be helpful. Ian is recovering, but when Dave told him yellow was dead we had a major breakdown (what was Daddy thinking!) Santa might bring a Spider-man blankie for Christmas or we might cut yellow into smaller pieces for Ian to carry around in his pocket, like in the book "Owen".

10 comments:

Katie L. said...

Sam is VERY attached to a blankie and I have to wash it so often I am waiting for the day when it comes out in pieces! How sad!

Katie L. said...

Here's an idea, Kelly, Eric's wife, let Tyler pick out different material to patch his blanket when it got really worn. Now it is a blue blanket covered in Nemo pictures! I don't know if you would be able to cut the wax off and patch it. Good luck, I feel for you!

Amy said...

Well, when I opened your blog Ian was here and he handled seeing yellow fine. I wouldn't have opened it had I know it might be hard on him. So, I'm glad he seems to be over it. I think that is so sweet, how much he loved it. So far, my kids have never done that. I hope I don't screw them up too much.

Nicolaysen's Neighborbood said...

Hey- you should dry clean it. They have chemicals they can use to get the wax out. I'll bet he won't be playing with candles any more! That's too funny.

Hillary said...

What a tramatic experience. I am sure Ian is SO sad. Josh still has a blanket that he sleeps with. I hope you can get the issue resolved, and that this doesn't cause too much STRESS for you!

Stephanie said...

Hey! I am so glad you left me a comment. You boys are darling! Isn't blogging awesome? Primary Pres. Sorry, I mean that's great! :) I look forward to keeping up with you.

Unknown said...

ah man, that is a bummer!

Noel Family said...

Hey Guys!!!

It's been a long time since we've seen you and your kids are growing up fast. I work with Josh Dalton and through his blog I found yours. I remember him telling me you were in his ward a long time ago, but we are just getting into the blog scene and I thought I'd check out other blogs for ideas. Keep in touch!

Marianne and Matt said...

Hey, I found your blog through my brother Ryan. It's been so long since I've seen you guys or even the the whole Howard and Mary Noel family. Hope all is going well. I'm glad we can now keep in better touch with you!!

Allison said...

ohhhhh, my girls would almost die if their favorite blankies 'died'. I hope that Ian gets over this one! I love that he called it Yellow.