Saturday, April 14, 2012

April 14—A Run, a Bike & Lots of Fun

This morning we rolled out of bed early, early for the Legacy Duathlon.  My sister Mindy, who is a cross fitter extraordinaire, talked me into riding the bike and volunteered herself for the run.  I don’t run, it hurts.  So, I was more than willing to join her for a relay.  This would be my first official “race.”  I’ve done “rides” before, but no races.  I was pretty nervous especially  with the rain and the new “slick” tires I had just put on my bike.  The weather decided to cooperate though and after setting up the transition station I watched Mindy take off on her run.  The run was suppose to be 3.1 miles, but somehow the mileage had been miscalculated and it was only 2.5 miles.  This made for an interesting transition for us because instead of waiting ready at my bike I was chit chatting with Dave and the kids when Mindy came running into the transition area looking for me.  I started throwing jackets and sweats on the ground while trying to untie my shoes.  It took us 1 minute 19 seconds and I was on the bike.  It was cold, but flat with hardly any wind.  I was hoping to finish around 1 hour 12-13 minutes, but with the recently sprained ankle I knew that might be pushing it.  I made it back in 1 hour 15 minutes jumped of the bike and tagged Mindy out the the transition.  She ran the second leg almost exactly as fast as the first which was so great.  At the finish line they gave her this little card that said we had finished the whole race in 1 hour 6 minutes…dang we were fast or as Ian said later on “someone doesn’t know how to do math.”  The card also pronounced us the winners of the relay division which we were not…a bunch of men on three man teams won.  Such a fun day, and so inspired by my sister who does this kind of thing all the time.  Hope to sign up for more bike races this summer and still crossing my fingers for that LOTOJA relay ticket.

005 copy013 copy021 copy022 copy

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Hey you! I had so much fun today!! We will have to do it again very soon. You did great...I have never seen anyone change shoes so fast. :)
Seriously, I had a blast. Great, great day. Love you much!