Wednesday, September 24, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog...

I have been lurking everywhere lately. Still reading blogs, forums, surfing the general web--but not actively participating. It's nice to just sit back and lurk around the internet without trying to think of something interesting to say. But life has been interesting and if any of you are still reading my ramblings--or lack thereof here is what we have been up to lately.
(Sorry for the lack of commenting on my part lately--I'm trying to put my days of lurking behind me.)

On my birthday we drove over to Kamas to see my friends Amber, Marisa, and Nora race in a triatholon. It was so fun to see them all finish and to see how inspiring the whole event was. Check out Amber, Marisa, and Nora's posts to get a more detailed description of events. (Marisa's video of the swim is very entertaining!) After the triathalon we went to Nora's parents cabin and had a birthday BBQ complete with this amazing chocolate truffle tort/cake that Nora made.

Ian started pre-school this month. It is his third year of pre-school and his second year with teacher Lici. He was excited to return and when he came home on his first day the first thing he said was, "I made so many new friends mom." He is such a friendly kid and the excitment he has for everything is contagious.

The first weekend in September we dumped the kids of with Dave's parents and headed up to Logan to be my dad's support team for the Lotoja. The Lotoja is a bike race from Logan, UT to Jackson, WY--all in one day! 1 Day, 3 States, 212 Miles. This was my dad's second race. Last year he made it to Afton, WY before calling it quits. This year he trained harder logging 1,000 + miles on his bike and was ready to finish.

We watched him start the race and then followed him the rest of the day-dishing out egg sandwiches and bananas and the food stations. He pushed as hard as he could and by 8:17 at night--after 14 1/2 hours of riding he pulled into Jackson. He didn't make it to the finish line at Teton Village, but he had rode until he could not go any further (he was a little delirious and dehydrated--and it was really dark) Read my sister's post for a little more detail and most likely better writing.

By the end of the race we had all had a fun, tiring, emotional day. Dad, you are my hero and my inspiration. Thanks for teaching me that if I want to do something to make a plan, get it done, and do your best.
So, just putting this out there--after the triatholon and the Lotoja I decided on a plan. I want to ride in a relay team in the Lotoja before I am 38. I'm training for a 5K right now to get in shape, the next step is to stay in shape and save money for a bike, and then when Miles starts Kindergarten I can start training. I want to be on a 4 man relay team so we can each ride one leg of the race and then all ride the last leg together to cross the finish line. It's a long plan, but I think it is one that can work.

Ian and Miles have been great buddies lately.


On September 11 I took the kids over to the Healing Field. It is a field where they put up one flag for each of the people killed on September 11. It was very moving and a great reminder of what happened and how I felt on that day.



Ian just turned 5! He had a fun party with his friends, and got so many presents I'm going to hide some for Christmas. Here are some pictures from his party.

Blue frosted strawberry cupcakes--the colors of Transformers!


Oh, did I mention this party was saved by Nora. I had some games planned, but the kids did them so fast we had a whole hour left after games, presents, and cake. Nora--aka Miss Nora the pre-school teacher stepped in and rescued us with parachute games, musical chairs, and autobot, autobot, Optimus Prime (duck, duck, goose). Now that 's a true friend to entertain 12 pre-schoolers without pay and only a little ice cream.


My cute nephew Jackson.

Pretty Parachute.


6 comments:

Mindy said...

Hooray for a new post!!! I even got a mention. Yay for your pictures. It was so fun to spend time with you. It was fun to see all your pics. I'm glad you are back in the blogging world! :)

Katie L. said...

Thanks for the update, I am just glad to know that you are alive and well! I loved all the fun pictures!

tamster17 said...

Good to see you back girl! Life just gets so busy and it's hard to have enough time for everything! Can't believe your little man is 5 now! The birthday post was cute -- love the transformer duck, duck, goose game! I'd invite that friend to all your parties! ;-) Is she for hire? hahaha

We need to plan a get together with Colleen & Mati for sometime soon! Did you get my email? We may have to change our plans from the park thing to something else since it's turing cold. Let me know what you think!

Camille said...

I love that last photo - very artsy!

Maryann said...

Fun to see what you have been up to! Looks like you have had a fun summer. Glad your birthday was good. I thought about you, but didn't remember the date for sure, only that it was in August... is the 23rd right? or and I way off?

Julie said...

Wow!! What an amazing time you have had. It is fun to see an update and see all you have done. Good luck with your training. You are amazing. I can't believe your little one is 5!