Thursday, May 6, 2010

May 6--Adelaide Joy & Something Yummy

Here is my friend's little (all of 8 years) Addie Jo. I kind of like to think of Addie as my surrogate daughter. Whenever her siblings come over to play with the kids we get to hang out. We have baked together, crafted together, blogged together, sewn together and shared some much needed girl talk. She turned eight last month and we attended her baptism on Saturday (forgot the camera). She is such a neat kid so responsible, caring, and always watching out for the little ones around her. Lately her and Wes have become the best of friends. Whenever I drop the kids off at her house she runs out to the car to help get him inside where she dotes on him until it is time to go home. A few days ago he even fell asleep in her arms--he doesn't do that for me!!

While the boys were playing with Addie's brothers today I made some homemade granola. This stuff is so good and addicting. Before we got married Dave got this recipe for me from his mom and it has become a treat in our house. I haven't made it for awhile, but back in September when Mary came to help me with Wes she brought some granola with her. Ever since I have been craving this and today we finally made a batch. Here is the recipe.

6 cups oats
**1 cup raw wheat germ (toasted works, but I don't think it is as healthy)
**1 cup raw sesame seeds
**1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1 cup raisins
1 cup toasted coconut
Pecans, walnuts, & whatever else you like

Combine all ingredients in a bowl except raisns and coconut. Spread on a cookie sheet. Bake at 275-300 for 15-30 minutes depending on oven. I just keep checking it and turning it over with a spatula so it cooks evenly. When it starts to brown at the edges take it out of the oven. Let it cool a little bit and then transfer it to an air tight container for storage. Don't wait until it cools completely or the honey with adhere the whole batch to the cookie sheet--not good. I like to add toasted coconut and raisins to it after it is cooked. Mary had pecans(mmm...) in the batch she brought in September--basically just add whatever sounds good. After making promptly hide it somewhere, don't tell anyone you made it or it will disappear within hours. Eat your secret bowl before the kids get up or for a snack while they are napping! :)

**I buy the wheat germ, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds at Kitchen Needs on Redwood Rd. but any whole foods store should have them.

No comments: