Sunday, March 9, 2008

Living the Glamorous Life


This past Wednesday I ditched the kids for a couple of hours and headed to the slopes for a taste of the glamours life. My friend Nora's sister Donna works at Deer Valley and thanks to her we were able to ski for free (otherwise Deer Valley might not have been an option). I was able to find a generous neighbor to watch my kids on short notice and with rental skis in the back of the Volvo I was off to the slopes. I am a once a year skier and usually we go to Beaver Mountain in Cache Valley. Beaver is great-small resort, but with lots of variety-small lodge with picnic tables to eat at-no mid mountain eateries-and lifts that pinch your calves and knock you on your butt if you aren't careful. When people ski Beaver they ski their guts out-it's down the hill as fast (not as gracefully) as you can-get as many runs in as you can so at 4:00 you can't even walk to the car. When Nora and I took the first lift up at Deer Valley I thought I was in a skier's Disneyland-there were lifts everywhere, there where at least 3 lifties at each lift, each lift was roped of nicely for lines to form (there were no lines), people were swishing gently and gracefully down the hill in coats that matched their pants, and Nora even pointed out the real fur around 6 people's hoods. We skied all morning-Donna showed us around and treated us to the best lemon bars I have ever tasted. It was such a fun day and a much needed break. Thanks Donna and Nora.
**Oh, I forgot-every lift was a high speed detachable quad or triple, and there were tissues at each lift!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a fun day! Isn't it great to get away for a little while.

Maryann said...

glad you had a fun time - it sounds wonderful!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! What a fun thing to do! Glad you had a great time! Aren't connections great! ;)

Katie L. said...

What a fun break! I don't ski but Mat just went to Deer Valley on Saturday and was trying to tell me how nice it is but I think you did a better job! I'm glad you had a fun time!

Robyn said...

MaryAnn-
So glad to hear from you. Do you have a blog or e-mail address so I can catch up with you more?
Robyn

Nora Mair said...

Something to blog about for sure. Love the new layouts you're working on.

Adam and Bri VanSleeuwen said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm so glad you were able to get away and have "your time". It's always so nice! Cute online scrapbooking!

Shawn said...

Jealous!!!

Julie said...

You lucky. I haven't been on skis for at least 7 years. It sounds like it was amazing. Glad you had fun.