Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Itch

No, I'm not talking about an itch on my back or the dry itchy skin that bothers me when I go to bed. I'm talking about that longing I get every spring to pack up my car and head to the Tetons to work for the summer. Yes, I haven't worked there for almost 10 years now, and what would I do with the little ones, but those carefree days of my Teton summers still call to me. So here is a list of my Teton favorites (or just some crazy memories).


The smell of the Lodge-no it is not stinky, but I have yet to be anywhere that smells quite like it. Leather, baked goods, musty winter smell.

The dorm rooms. Paper thin walls, community bathrooms, and everything you own crammed into those little tiny rooms.

Pioneer Grill uniforms! Who doesn't love polyester pants that are 4 inches too short.

Cafeteria food. Gotta love the grill leftovers, the stuff that could not be identified, and the endless ice cream, but most of all how was it to not have to cook for a whole summer!

Walking to work at 5:15 in the morning and meeting a moose.

Dusty Glaciers, Huckleberry Pancakes, Cinnamon Rolls fresh from the bakery.

TAUK tours. We're in the money!

Working the melba station. White, wheat, rye, sourdough-no dry please.

Bear jams. (Not Bear Jam)

Rocking after work. (Linda Whittington you might be the only one who knows what I mean)

The smell of coffee-mmmmm......

Branch activities. Thank you Bro. and Sis. Moore for putting up with us while we are trying to grow up and figure things out.

Hanging out with my dad at the Climber's Ranch.

The mountains in the morning--the afternoon--the evening. Knowing it was something amazing to live in such a beautiful place.

Picnics on the beach.

The sandy beach at Leigh Lake.

Hiking with Linda & Linda.

Eating outside at the Colter Bay Cafeteria, and hoping the whistle pigs grazing on the overflow would not explode.

Whistle Pigs. Oh, and the Whistle Pig--employee cafe.

Eating at Signal Mountain. Nachos mmmm...

Afternoon thunderstorms. Lots of rain and the smell of pine trees.

The cool weather. Never a day above the high 80's.

Nora playing the guitar.
Making waffles in my room after church on Sunday's.

Michelson making us all laugh.

Playing the piano in the lobby-the best job I ever had.

Static Peak Divide, Lake Solitude, Paintbrush Divide, Hidden Falls, Alaska Basin, Fox Creek Pass, The Meadows, The Lower Saddle, knowing every rock and turn of the trail up Death Canyon.

Coming home from a hike sunburned, covered in dirt, and so sore I could barely move.
Meeting Dave down at the docks when he got off of work. Hangin out in his VW Bus Bathsheba.

Indigo Girls, 10,000 Maniacs, Yanni, Dave Matthews, Bryan Adams Unplugged, Judith Edlman, etc...

A shout out to all of you who made those summers so great.
Here's a recent page I did of our backpacking trip to the Tetons last summer.

2 comments:

tamster17 said...

What a fun post -- I loved reading all your fun memories of working up there for the summers. It makes me want to go! Those scrapbook pages you did are so neat! Love them! Thanks for sharing it with us all!

Julie said...

It is so fun to read about what made those summers so great. I didn't know you played the piano at the lodge. How fun. I am so glad you have such fond memories of that time.