Monday, June 2, 2008

My Love/Hate Relationship with an Epic

For those few of you who actually read this blog and for even the more few of you who have noticed I have been reading "Gone With the Wind" I wanted to fill you in on my progress. I am taking a break and have decided I have a love/hate relationship with this book.

I love the long, elaborate descriptions. They create beautiful pictures and explain why Scarlett loves Tara so much.

I hate the long, elaborate descriptions. They go on an on and the whole time I am worried about the story. What is happening to Scarlett and Rhett?

I love Scarlett. She is a strong woman who will do what ever she has to to protect her home and the people that live there.

Scarlett drives me nuts. Ashley, Ashley, Ashley---he doesn't understand her! She doesn't really love him and he is MARRIED!!! She marries men she doesn't love and after years and years of only kindness from poor Melly she still can't think a nice thing about her.



I love Melly. What a selfless, kind person. She gets Ashley and I think she might even understand Scarlett.

I really wish Melly would just get screaming mad at some point. (Maybe this will happen I'm not done with the book yet.)


Rhett, Rhett, handsome swindler Rhett. Well, I quite like him. He might get his money in dishonest ways, but at least he knows he's dishonest and he doesn't try to fool anyone. Unlike Scarlett he knows who and what he is and isn't afraid to stand in that.

What don't I like about Rhett--well he is kind of old which leads to a bit of an yuk factor with him and Scarlett. He also could stay away from that Belle lady and the booze. And come on if he knows he is so bad he could try harder to overcome all of his innate flaws that he so proudly acknowledges.

So, I'm going to take a break from the epic and read a few children's Newberry Winner's over the summer. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will be desperate to know the rest of Scarlett and Rhett's story.

*Since I wrote this post I have read "Sarah, Plain and Tall" and "Maniac Magee." Both books were excellent and quick reads (which I am in need of right now). I would recommend them both and if you have kids they would be great books to read to them.

3 comments:

Nora Mair said...

Nail on the head Robyn. The end is great because a lot of characters say everything--even Mammy addmitts to inducing Bonnie's fear of the dark. It'll be an old friend when you pick it up again.

tamster17 said...

Liked reading your insights on the book. I love your new title graphic -- too cute! Is that a template that you used? If so, where did you get it? I would love to have it for a scrapbooking page!!! I love the digi-scrapbooking stuff -- thanks for helping me get addicted to it as well! ;-)

Hillary said...

What an undertaking. I think you deserve a break this summer...Newberry winners, now that is my kind of reading! By the way, cute header!