Saturday, June 28, 2008

Cache Valley Raspberry Jam


A few days ago I made raspberry jam. I am always forgetting the recipe and having to call my mom for help, so I thought I would but it out there in blog land so I will always have it.

MOM'S TRICKS
Follow the recipe on the pectin instructions with these variations. Use about a 1/4-1/3 more fruit. Decrease the sugar by 1/3. Decrease pectin by about 1/4 as well. You only need to use karo syrup and lemon juice if the pectin calls for it. So here are the instructions from the batch I did this time.

RASPBERRY FREEZER JAM RECIPE
4 cups mashed raspberries
3 1/2 cups sugar
*add sugar to raspberries stir until dissolved than let sit for 10 min.
3/4 package of Ball pectin cooked on stove as directed
*stir pectin into jam mixture stirring consistently for 3 min.
*Ladel into jars, allow to set in fridge then move to freezer.

I double this batch twice. Most people don't make jam this way or in this quantity-I ended up with 17 jars of jam! My parents have so many raspberry bushes they get oodles of berries. I had 2 gallons of raspberries to make jam with! My mom has always made the best raspberry jam I have ever tasted and these are her tricks. I think the real trick is growing the yummy berries.

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Mmmm! I need to try yours. This was my first year trying raspberry jam, and I didn't think mine was very good. Fresh raspberries right off the vine probably make a huge difference! I need to try your recipe.

Jamie said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe for raspberry jam! I can't wait to try it sometime.
It was good to finally meet you at the barbeque. =D Take care!

Camille said...

I know what you mean about being a trick to grow the berries. We have tried and tried all of our married life to grow raspberry plants and NONE of them have grown. Raspberries hate us. I think I've made jam once in my life (plum) and it was too much work so I'll just come over to your house and eat your jam. :)

tamster17 said...

That sounds absolutely yummy! I LOVE LOVE LOVE raspberry freezer jam! Your such a lucky bum to have such a great supply! So, when can I come buy a jar of your deliicious jam from you? :-)