Sunday, May 31, 2009

Memorial Day

Well for Memorial Day we decided to head down to Utah County. We visited my Grandparents grave. It is so strange to think they are both gone and within a year and a half of each other. Cemetery's are so interesting and especially on Memorial Day with all the flowers and trinkets people bring for their loved ones. Ian wanted to know the names off some of the headstones and when we found a little baby that had died named Clarence he decided this was his new favorite name for baby boy #3!

Pinwheel for Grandpa--Ian placed it carefully by the headstone about 5 times before he was happy with where it was.

After visiting the grave we went back to my grandparents house. My dad and his siblings are in the process of trying to clean out the house and get it ready to sell. Now those of you who know my grandparents know that everything they have ever owned was chosen with care and taken care of so well their house has become somewhat of a museum to us grand kids. Grandma had collections of little smoker men from Europe, ceramic Santa Clause's, more clocks than I could count, and not to mention most of the accent furniture was made by Grandpa. We spent the afternoon going through the house deciding where everything should go--Grandma had preassigned something to each of us. I got a grandmother clock grandpa made and a little statue of Mozart from Austria. But even after all the preassigning there was so much stuff!! My Aunt Sharee and my dad kept asking, "do you want this, how about this" so after pilfering Grandma's house we came home with a carload of stuff and get to go back for new furniture for our basement next week. Even if Grandma and Grandpa aren't around to talk to anymore every 15 minutes when I hear Grandpa's clock ding I will be thinking about them.



4 comments:

Stephanie said...

How neat that you got those things from your grandparents. I really treasure my grandparents things. Enjoy!

tamster17 said...

That is really neat -- it will be great for you to have some things around you to remember them by.

Katie L. said...

I know how you feel! It was good seeing you guys and next time you come down, bring the boys over if you get a chance!

Hillary said...

So glad you got to go down for Memorial Day. I love having things to remind me of G&G too! I can see them smiling down on us.