Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Von Willen..what

Remember back to 09.09.09 and the complications I had after having Wes. Well, after some more blood work, a visit to a very concerned OB, and a few trips to see an incredibly intelligent hematologist I have been diagnosed with one possibly two blood disorders. One called ITP where my immune system freaks out gets confused and gets rid of platelets like it would destroy the flu. The other is a hereditary disease called Von Willenbrands where my blood is missing a clotting factor. No, I don't know what a clotting factor is all I know is this means your blood doesn't clot as quickly as a normal person's blood should. So what does this mean--well not much just that when you have a baby you can bleed out 10 days later, if you have teeth yanked you should let the dentist know, and if you are in a major car accident you might have problems. My doctors are going to run some more tests to see how bad it is and I'm having some out patient surgery that should help out, and then we will probably need to have the kids tested. Kind of crazy, but it is good to have some answers as to what happened back in September. My hematologist told me of some symptoms to watch for that will indicate a low platelet count and then I would need to go get my blood drawn ASAP. This has really made me value my health though. Having doctors appointments every few days and not knowing what is up with your body can really make you crazy.
Now that we have finally figured out what is up I'm hoping to get back in shape. I had grand dreams of running a 10K in May, but my couch to 10K program faded into the distance a few weeks ago. And then Dave went and bought us these fancy smancy (pictures coming soon) road bikes, remember my Lotoja dreams, and hopefully we can find some time to put a few miles on them this summer.

5 comments:

Sheree said...

We'll be holding our breath and crossing our fingers that it's the milder of the 2 and doesn't affect the boys. Strange that it wasn't a problem until #3. good luck with the blood work and with the training program.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are finally getting some answers! It's hard not knowing what is wrong.

linda said...

Robyn I'm so glad that you are getting answers to what happened when you had Wes. You'll totally rock a 10k. . .you climbed the Grand after all!!! :)

Hillary said...

Welcome to our screwed up family...you can blame the Lee side for all our problems. Woo Hoo you got bikes, it is so fun and addicting...good luck!

Katie L. said...

Why is it that you can't clot and then our family clots too easily??? Crazy! We hike out in Snow Canyon and that trail that we LOVE (Johnson's Trial or Johnson's Arch...I can't remember) is closed right now. There is a trail right by it that goes out to some lava caves that I have heard are cool. We couldn't go because of time not because the trail was hard. In Zion's my kids love the Emerald Pool trail. It's an all day thing and it can be kind of hard but if you take your time it's worth it! Have a great time!